Friday 25 October 2013

Coursework Part 2 - Travel Writing

New York, the city that never sleeps.


Finally, after several hours of exhausting trekking, I arrive in the center. Shivers run through my spine. I recognise my surroundings now, it’s exactly how I pictured it - only more perfect. With my coffee in one hand, and map in the other, I have all I need to continue my adventure.

As the snow continues to fall, the freezing icicles absorb into my furry hat. My gloves struggling to cope with protecting me from the raw cold that besieges me. With the flaming flask in my hand being my only form of warmth, I walk through and all I can see is gleaming lights of warmth, shelter and homeliness surrounding me. Businessmen zooming through the streets, taxis beeping their horns, groups of teenagers hurrying around, young men prancing around trying to earn money, old men on the sidewalk begging for that spare dollar. I am wary that I may accidentally walk into the rush.

As I advance further though my trip, I see fast white clouds emerge from the ground. Panic rushes through my head as I furiously ponder on what this may be. My head spins rapidly to see everyone else’s reaction to this, however everyone seems oblivious to it. Can they not see what I am seeing? Is this of the norm? I reach the conclusion of the latter.

It abruptly dawns on me that I have lost track of where I’m going - I am lost. But I don’t mind, is there really a better place in the world to be adrift?

As I continue walking through the city, I pass what two minutes ago looked like a insignificant, microscopic dot. To my surprise it has transformed to this sizable, substantial skyscraper that now alludes me instantly. My perception of where I am eventually returns.

Whether I am lost or found, there’s some things I can’t escape - McDonald’s, Starbucks, Burger King, Dunkin’ Donuts, Krispy Kreme.. The list goes on.

As the daylight begins to fade, snow continues falling from the sky but is now easing up. The day is getting later and the darkness is starting to spread, however the city is only getting brighter. As if a magician has cast a spell, the city transforms from a formidable fortress surrounded in slush to a gleaming mirage of shimmering wonder. I wouldn’t change this for the world.

The cold still smacks my face, with the wind whooshing through as if it is trying to knock me off my feet, the only thing that has any chance of doing that are these sparkling stars that follow me on my every move. I walk on and make it to my hotel, as I breeze through the security greets me with a ‘Good evening sir’, as I walk further in, a sudden rush of warmth flows through my body, the scent of homemade cooking runs through my nostrils, I feel at home. I’m at the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment