Monday 7 October 2013

Style Model - Extract from John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men

Monologue from Crooks, he is the only black person on the ranch and the only person there with a permanent job, he has been there for a very long time but has failed to form any type of relationship with anyone else. He believes this is because of his skin colour. When Lennie goes into his room, this is what Crooks says to him:

 "S'pose you didn't have nobody. S'pose you couldn't go into the bunk house and play rummy 'cause you was black. How'd you like that? S'pose you had to sit out here an' read books. Sure you could play horseshoes till it got dark, but then you got to read books. Books ain't no good. A guy needs somebody - to be near him. A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody. Don't make no difference who the guy is, long's he's with you. I tell ya, I tell ya a guy gets too lonely an' he gets sick."

My Version of this Monologue

"Put yourself in my shoes. No friends, no family, nothing. Imagine if you could not go into the bunk house and play chess, not because you are a bad person, not because you've done wrong, but because of the colour of your skin. You think about it.. fancy that? You would not want to be out here reading books day in, books are boring, I need someone, I need something. This is all making me crazy, I need someone, I do not care who but I need somebody. I'm lonely, help me. 

1 comment:

  1. Dwayne, I like the choice of monologue. Analyse the techniques used and then use them to bring to life a monologue on a different topic - look at how Crooks's voice is created and use the same techniques but different words to create a character's voice.

    ReplyDelete